Support the Dulles Airport Community by giving back 100% of funds raised by the Committee for Dulles Community Outreach (CFDCO) in the form of scholarships to graduating high school seniors who work/volunteer or have a parent/guardian who work/volunteer within Dulles Airport's perimeter. CFDCO also provides grants to local organizations that support the airport and its passengers.
The Committee for Dulles (CFD) in partnership with the Washington Airports Task Force formed the CFDCO in 2012. The CFDCO, the charitable arm of CFD, was established to honor the legacy of David A. Edwards. Mr. Edwards was a past CFD president who was deeply committed to supporting the Dulles Airport community.
How We Raise Funds:
The volunteer-run 501 (c)(3) committee raises funds by hosting a number of events throughout the year to include raffles, silent auctions, the Dulles 5K/10K on the Runway, the CFD Annual Golf Tournament, and contributions from supporting individuals, organizations, and corporations.
To date, the Committee has awarded 222 scholarships totaling $375,000 to graduating high school seniors who work/volunteer or have parents who works/volunteers within the Dulles Airport’s perimeter, and $59,000 in grants to local organizations that support the airport and its passengers, including travelers aid operations, the interfaith chapel, and a local women’s shelter.
How You Can Help:
You can support the CFDCO by clicking here to donate online. To donate via check or in-kind, please contact Mark Treadaway, CFDCO Committee President. Remember 100% of all donations directly support the Dulles community through grants and scholarships.
You may also help by participating in one of our fundraising activities. The CFDCO is a sponsoring partner of the Dulles 5K/10K on the Runway and CFD's annual golf tournament. In addition, the Committee also holds raffles during CFD luncheons and other events.
To become a member of the Community Outreach Committee, CFD members should contact Mark Treadaway for details.
Applying for a CFDCO Dulles Airport Scholarship:
CFDCO wishes to present a minimum of eleven (11) college/trade school scholarships in 2024 to graduating high school seniors. This includes eight (8) $2,000 Academic Scholarships, two (2) $2,500 Academic/Community Service Scholarships, and one (1) 3,000 Carol Welti Scholarship.
The Criteria is as follows:
1. Applicant must be an employee or volunteer of, or the dependent of an employee or volunteer of, a business or agency operating in the Washington Dulles Airport community. (This is defined as inside the fence that surrounds the entire airport property.)
2. Applicant is a graduating high school senior (Class of 2024).
3. Applicant must enroll in an accredited community college, trade school, college, or university. The applicant may be full-time or part-time.
4. Applicant demonstrates leadership and commitment to the community through involvement in extracurricular and/or volunteer activities. The Academic/Community Service scholarship awardee will demonstrate considerable community service. The Carol Welti scholarship should also demonstrate leadership and community service at the highest levels.
5. Applicant must submit a completed application form which includes student essay, a recommendation letter from a teacher and/or school administrator, and a copy of high school transcript.
6. No financial disclosure is required; scholarship is not based on need.
7. The scholarship may be used for tuition and other related expenses, i.e., books.
8. The scholarship must commence within 12 months of the scholarship award or scholarship award will be forfeited.
Selection of the scholarship recipient will be made by a committee of the sponsoring organization. Please note that the Scholarship Committee reserves the right not to award the scholarship if it does not receive suitable applications.
Applications are due no later than Tuesday, March 26, 2024. To be considered, applications must include a) completed 2024 application form, b) the three requested essays, c) a copy of student’s transcript, d) a letter of recommendation from a teacher and/or school administrator.
Step 1: Click here to print or download the application and essay form.
Step 2: Read the application instructions carefully.
Step 3: Fill out both the application and essay form. Incomplete forms will not be considered.
Step 4: Send all forms, letters, and transcripts via email to 2024 CFDCO Scholarship Program or regular mail to Washington Airports Task Force, Attention Scholarship Program, 44701 Propeller Court, Suite 100, Dulles, VA 20126.
Due to the high number of scholarships applications received each year, incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you need assistance, please contact Lisa Merhaut or Mark Treadaway at 703.572.8714 or 2024 CFDCO Scholarship Program.